All BPD Core Competency and Train the Trainer workshops that were planned for ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, and WA have been postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 border restrictions.
The workshops have been designed to be delivered over two days face to face which provides opportunities for participant interaction in activities and role plays, in depth group discussions and immediate feedback from trainers.
Australian BPD Foundation and Spectrum are committed to delivering all our workshops, therefore if face to face delivery is not possible due to COVID-19 restrictions; the workshops will be redesigned to an online platform to ensure that training goes ahead in 2021.
Please subscribe to receive updates regarding the BPD Core Competency Workshops and Train the Trainer Program in 2021 using the link below:
The BPD Core Competency workshops aim to upskill clinicians and service providers to recognise, respond to and treat people living with BPD and be inclusive of family and friends. Clinicians can effect positive changes in people with BPD and their families at every single clinical interaction whether at community mental health facilities, private psychology clinics, emergency departments, general practice, private psychiatry practices, inpatient mental health facilities or mental health support service settings.
The workshops cover the core competencies that clinicians require to enable them to effectively work with people with BPD and are as follows:
1. Understanding the diagnosis of BPD (including symptoms, prevalence, causes and evidence based treatments)
2. Co-existing disorders in BPD
3. Treatment principles
4. Treatment structure
5. Therapeutic relationship
6. Skills development focus
7. Partnering with families, partners and carers
8. Working with suicidal and non-suicidal self-injury behaviours
9. Clinician self – awareness
10. Focus on recovery in BPD
Ongoing mentoring and supervision will be offered to participants for the life of the project.
Appropriately skilled clinicians/trainers may apply to participate in our Train the Trainer program to deliver the BPD Core Competency Workshops in their area. The Train the Trainer program is open to health professionals and clinicians from any discipline who are able demonstrate the following:
• At least 5 years clinical experience in mental health, in particular in the treatment of people with BPD
• At least 3 years experience in delivering training
• Capacity to attend the Train the Trainer workshop
• A commitment and capacity (either through their workplace or independently) to deliver BPD Core Competency Workshops in their state. This is not funded by the project. A fee to cover costs incurred may be charged.
The Train the Trainer program for the delivery of the BPD Core Competency Workshops involves:
1. Attendance of the BPD Core Competency Workshop (expected)
2. Satisfactory completion of the Train the Trainer Workshop (mandatory) – Dates to be advised.
3. Endorsement as a National BPD Training Strategy Trainer by the Australian BPD Foundation to deliver the BPD Core Competency Workshops across the country.
4. Potential ongoing professional development to keep endorsement as a trainer post 31st December 2021.
As a trainer there may be opportunities to be contracted by Spectrum to deliver workshops depending on available funding.
Applications for the Train the Trainer Program will open early in 2021.
Stage 3and 4 of the BPD National Strategy has been developed by a partnership between Australian BPD Foundation and Spectrum Personality Disorder Service. This project was undertaken with funding from the National Mental Health Commission.